Saturday 1438 - 5th January 2013
Last week I wrote a very serious post called Power to the Women of the World if you haven’t read it I hope you will as it’s an important subject. You can read it here
I’ve spent all day cleaning all the carpets in my house with a pressurised hot water machine.. Marvellous and exhausting.. I appreciate that it might be rather boring to write anything but that one sentence about carpet cleaning so I’m sure you’ll be glad to hear that!!
So instead a bit of fun and at the end I invite you to join in.
This week I’ve been thinking about what music/book/ luxury I might bring if I found myself castaway on a Desert Island. Now for those of you in foreign climes who haven’t got the faintest idea what on earth I’m talking about here’s an except from Wikipedia
“Guests are invited to imagine themselves cast away on a desert island, and to choose eight pieces of music, originally gramophone records, to take with them; discussion of their choices permits a review of their life. Excerpts from their choices are played or, in the case of short pieces, the whole work. At the end of the programme they choose the one piece they regard most highly.
They are then asked which book they would take with them; they are automatically given the Complete Works of Shakespeare and either the Bible or another appropriate religious or philosophical work. Guests also choose one luxury which must be inanimate and of no use in escaping the island or allowing communication from outside.”
The radio programme was devised and originally presented by Roy Plomley with the first programme going out 29 January 1942.. yes 1942 !! and it’s still going strong.
So I’m going to tell you what my 8 choices of music are ( VERY hard to choose) book and luxury (I wonder if you can guess what that might be? ) though I’m not going to give you my life story!
As I’m not clever with video stuff and haven’t got a clue how to embed a video, and certainly don’t have the inclination to learn tonight, I am going to do my choices as a serious of photos. If you click on each one it will open a separate window with the song/piece of music on YouTube.
They’re in no particular order though after doing this I noticed that a lot of my choices are inspirational in some way.. interesting that!.. and I think the choice is quite different from the everyday music I might listen to or dance to.. very, very different..
1) Something Inside so Strong – Labi Siffre – This inspirational song always makes me feel uplifted; the words so meaningful speaking of all men being equal. “Because there’s something inside so strong and I know that I can make it”
2) Imagine - John Lennon – I couldn’t leave this off the list as it had a lasting impact on me. The words have just as much resonance today as they had when John wrote the song. Sadly John’s dream of “Someday the world will be as one” seems far away at first, however social media actually gives the opportunity for more unity which must be taken.
3) Daisy Bell was written in 1892. No! I’m not that old, thank you! The reason why it’s in this list is because it reminds me of my daughter. Katy didn’t like to sleep at night and for some reason, as I was pushing her in a pushchair to try to get her back off to sleep, I used to sing “Daisy, Daisy give me your answer do, I’m half crazy all for the love of you” etc. I have no idea how it started but it has a certain rhythm to it which fits with pushing a pushchair forward and pulling it back. It still acts as a great stress buster for me and for her too I think.
4) Summer Breeze – Isley Brothers - .The Isley Brother’s version was released as a single in 1974 when I was 20.. It always makes me think of happy summer days ( though I’m not at all sure I’d really need to be reminded of that on a desert island ! ) I love the guitar solo !
5) At Last – Etta James – what a voice, power, sensuality.. she sings like she really means it. It speaks of Love and would remind me of that wonderful feeling when I’d be all alone.
6) You’ll never walk alone – 3 Tenors version. This is in because it’s the Liverpool Football Club fan’s anthem and it reminds me of my son Steven who supported Liverpool through thick and thin.. though I notice his interests have waned a little recently in favour of American sports… hmmm . It’s also here because it’s the only way I could fit the 3 Tenors in and because I have so admired the love and persistence of the families of the 96 fans killed in the Hillsborough disaster in their long fight for truth and justice. Those things so important to me.
7) Don’t Worry be Happy – Bobby McFerrin – just the kind of song to have on a desert island to remind me that worrying wouldn’t help, as it also doesn’t off the desert island ! and a nice bit of reggae beat to dance to!
8) What a Wonderful World – Louis Armstrong – Just because it is.. a wonderful world !
There were a handful of these that were immediate choices but deciding on the others was more difficult as there were many I could have chosen and tomorrow some would be different and maybe the next day too!
The one I would have to take with me would be.. Oh dear which one !! Ummm ummmm. I think Labi Siffre’s Something Inside so Strong to give me inspiration and remind me of my inner strength.
The Book – I am going to cheat a bit and bring the Poetry trilogy by Bloodaxe books edited by Neil Astley which are called Staying Alive, Being Alive and Being Human. A lifetime of reading and as I like to read poetry aloud and walk while I’m reading there would be no-one to mind
The Luxury – a fridge full of a lifetimes supply of Bendicks Bitter Mints.. YUM. YUM !
Addendum – Scilla reminded me with her comment below that I could have a philosophical book instead of the bible and I share her choice of the works of Thich Nhat Hahn. Thanks Scilla
Now I hope you’ll join in and tell me which music/book/luxury you think you might bring with you .. all or any will do So if you just want to say a book or a luxury or one piece of music that would be great. if you want to do a list even better.
I very much look forward to reading your comments.
Saturday Girl signing off now. see you next week
You can find my photography blog Photomania here . I recently finished a year of posting at least one photo a day; a 366 . I hope you’ll pop over and take a look if you haven’t already